STRUCTURE FIRE - 1800 BLOCK OF MONROE ST
3/25/2014 - 9:38:00 AM
3/25/14 @ 10:36 A.M. - WYBPD were dispatched to respond to 1809 Monroe St., a residential duplex, for a report of a structure fire.
@ 10:37 A.M. - WYBPD arrived and made adult male resident evacuate home as fire was actively burning on second floor front street side bedroom and specifically the mattress.
WYBPD and a member of the WYB Highway Dept. deployed fire extinguishers at mattress engulfed by fire. Flames were knocked down however police and highway dept. exited building as extinguishers were exhausted.
@ 10:38 A.M. WYFD personnel arrived on scene and began fighting this fire. Several area fire departments, West Manchester Township, Dover Township, York City and YAFUR also arrived and assisted as needed.
A WYBPD patrolman interviewed the male resident who reported that he was smoking a cigarette earlier this day, fell asleep on his bed then later woke up to find himself on his bedroom floor and his mattress to be fully engulfed in flames.
WYEMS arrived and treated the male resident for symptons related to smoke inhalation, however he refused transport to the hospital.
Do to the quick work by WYBPD, WYB Highway, WYFD and other area fire departments this fire was quickly extinguished before this entire structure was ignited, limiting damage to be caused by smoke and water. Neighboring 1811 Monroe St., also had smoke in the attic areas.
The York Chapter of the American Red Cross was contacted to assist the family that is now displaced because of this fire.